Conservation Easement Manager
Director of Science, Climate & Stewardship
Land Stewardship Coordinator
Mission of Position:
Under the direction of the Director of Science, Climate & Stewardship:
- manages the monitoring and enforcement of conservation easements
- maintains positive relationships with owners of easement-encumbered lands, including providing information about land stewardship practices
- assists other staff in the development of new conservation easement projects
Minimum two years professional experience in management of conservation easements and other real estate interests, stewardship of protected lands, forestry, conservation biology, land-use planning, landscape architecture, environmental sciences or related experience. Successful candidate will have:
- Love of the outdoors.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and extensively within Hudson Valley region.
- Superb interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people.
- Team Orientation.
- Self-directed, energetic and entrepreneurial. Extremely detail-oriented.
- Strong written and oral communication skills<
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office environment; GIS and GPS capabilities.
- Commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission.
- Job sometimes requires traveling the Hudson Valley in your own vehicle.
- Must be able to carry up to 30 lbs., sometimes over rough terrain, in inclement weather conditions and over long distances.
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and the natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity. A crusader for the valley since 1963, we are credited with saving fabled Storm King Mountain from a destructive industrial project and launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today with 50 employees and more than 25,000 ardent members, we are the largest environmental group focused on the Hudson River Valley. Our team of experts combines land acquisition, support for agriculture, citizen-based advocacy and sophisticated planning tools to create environmentally healthy communities, champion smart economic growth, open up riverfronts to the public and preserve the valley's inspiring beauty and natural resources.To date Scenic Hudson has created or enhanced more than 65 parks, preserves and historic sites up and down the Hudson River and conserved nearly 40,000 acres.
We are guided by these enduring principles:
- Everyone deserves opportunities to experience the Hudson River, to enjoy open space and to have a voice in decisions affecting their community.
- The beauty of the Hudson River Valley is a unique source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- An outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic growth.
Principle Responsibilities include:
- Monitors all Scenic Hudson Land Trust held conservation easements annually to ensure compliance with easement terms and Land Trust Standards & Practices.
- Maintains good relationships with conservation easement landowners—responds to landowner requests, provides copies of monitoring reports, and works with landowners to resolve any violations of easement terms.
- Promotes and works with landowners to educate about and encourage science-based and environmentally sound land stewardship practices.
- Produces bi-annual newsletter and other materials to educate and communicate with landowners.
- Completes Baseline Documentation Reports for all new conservation easements prior to closing.
- Works closely with the Land Conservation Director and other land conservation staff, including reviewing and providing timely comment on drafts of all new conservation easements, addressing easement violations, and amending easements when necessary.
- Manages Conservation Connections database and conservation easement project files.
- Supervises the Land Stewardship Coordinator (in coordination with the Director of Science, Climate, & Stewardship).
- Aids with the preparation of budgets and accounts for expenditure of funds for conservation easement management.
- Coordinates and confers with outside legal counsel reviewing easement management issues.
- Works with local and state officials and other non-profit organizations involved in conservation easement management and land acquisition.
- Provides general assistance to the Science, Climate, & Stewardship Director and other staff as appropriate.
- Completes other assignments as deemed necessary to achieve conservation science program goals and support the mission of the organization.
Full time, with competitive salary and benefits. Please send resumé and brief writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunity without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victims of domestic violence status or marital status.