Help us Prevent the Hudson River from Becoming a “Parking Lot” for Crude Oil Barges!
The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) is considering adopting regulations that would establish 43 new places to anchor for commercial vessels along the Hudson River at 10 sites located between Yonkers, Westchester County, and Kingston, Ulster County. This proposal could open up over 2,400 acres of the river to new anchorages, in essence creating huge parking lots for barges—many of which likely would contain volatile crude oil awaiting shipment to East Coast refineries. See this flyer for the most up-to-date details.
The container ships carrying this volatile cargo can hold up to 4 million gallons. Any accident could be deadly. Even if there is not an explosion and fire, a leak—with currently inadequate response systems—could devastate the river.
In addition to posing a significant environmental risk—what one opponent has called “a disaster waiting to happen”—the plan could jeopardize the great strides communities have made in revitalizing their riverfronts. It also would imperil the region’s scenic splendor, as well as access to the river and the safety of those engaged in paddling, sailing and motorboating.
Scenic Hudson has expressed our deep concerns about the plan and the need for public involvement and transparency in the process. The USCG has agreed to conduct public hearings in riverfront communities in spring 2017.
- Background: Information Sheet/Map, April 5, 2017
- Sample Municipal Resolution Supporting S.5197/A.6825, April 5, 2017
- Scenic Hudson Statement Regarding Hudson River Barge Accident, April 4, 2017
- NYS S.5197/A.6825 Proposed Legislation Regarding Petroleum-Bearing Vessels, March 13, 2017
- Help Needed from Trump, Cuomo to Halt Hudson River Threats, Ned Sullivan, Huffington Post, Jan. 31, 2017
- NYS Attorney General Letter to Jeh Johnson, Dec. 23, 2016
- Business Leaders Letter to Jeh Johnson, Dec. 16, 2016
- NYS Joint Agency Final Anchorages Comments to USCG, Dec. 6, 2016
- "Scenic Hudson Calls On USCG To Halt Anchorage Sites Proposal," WAMC Northeast Public Radio, Nov. 30, 2016
- Ned Sullivan Letter to Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, Nov. 21, 2016
- "Business and Environmental Groups United To Protect Hudson River from Anchorages," Real Estate In-Depth, Nov. 2016
- Congressional Bill H.R. 6202: "Hudson River Protection Act," Sept. 28, 2016
- Newspaper Editorial: "No Parking on the Hudson," The New York Times, Sept. 19, 2016
- Newspaper Op-Ed: "River is No Place to Park Oil Barges," Times-Union, Aug. 15, 2016 (PDF, 225K)
- Map: Proposed Anchorage Sites (PDF, 550K)
- Visual Analysis: Kingston/Rhinecliff Area Anchorages (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Visual Analysis: Yonkers/Hastings Area Anchorages (PDF, 1MB)